Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Waverley Country Club

This will always be a special place in my heart. It was the sight of my first real job, and job in golf. I caddied at Waverley CC for a couple of years and worked in the bag room. It was during this period that the 93' Junior Amateur was held and Tiger Woods defended for the second year in a row and won a Record three USGA Junior Amateur titles. I was among the small crowd that final round and watched as Ryan Armour birdied 15 to go 2 up with three holes remaining. Well, they halved 16 and then Tiger did the unthinkable and made birdie from very difficult sand shot up and downs on the closing 2 par 5's in order to force a play off. He won on the with a par on the first playoff hole, hole 1. This oil painting is the view across the river I would see every time I was dropped off at work. The course has always shined, but never as bright as it has after Gil Hanse and his crew made some modifications just over a year ago. The current course looks like it has been there forever in all the right ways and blends very well with the history and pedigree of the Club. I was happy to be asked by the GM to create an oil painting of a place that meant a lot to me personally. Best, Josh Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment